Making a Mark on Racine County
In 1850, Thomas Drought donated land and built a log schoolhouse where his mother, Mrs. Mary Ann Drought, was the first teacher. In 1847 it was reported that 17 children were listed in the district.
Eventually this building was sold for $1,015.00. A new building was built in 1952 west of the previous location. In 1954 an addition was added to accommodate the increasing enrollment.
Unfortunately the school building was lost in fire on August 23, 1961. Drought students attended school at North Cape while a new building was erected. Since then, Drought has experienced several additions to the rebuilt school building, most recently in 1998 when a new wing housing the library, cafeteria, offices, and miscellaneous classrooms were added.